We are delighted that high profile actor and television presenter Tony Robinson has joined Hackney Community Law Centre as a Patron!
Tony Robinson was born in Hackney at the Homerton Hospital and lived in Amhurst Road, near Hackney Downs in Lower Clapton.
Among other professional successes, Tony starred in the BBC’s popular Blackadder television programme as the well-known character ‘Baldrick‘. He currently presents the Time Team programme on Channel 4.
Commenting on why he accepted an invitation to become a HCLC patron, Tony Robinson said:
“Being born and brought up in Hackney, I was very pleased to be asked to become a Patron of Hackney Community Law Centre. In these very difficult times, Hackney Community Law Centre provides an indispensable legal lifeline for people losing their jobs, under threat of eviction or living below the breadline. I am proud to support the work of Hackney Community Law Centre and all the other Law Centres around the UK currently fighting for survival”.
HCLC’s other patrons (in alphabetical order) are:
- Diane Abbott MP – Member of Parliament for Hackney North and Stoke Newington – Read her biography HERE.
- Louise Christian – Hackney resident and Human rights solicitor who represented the families of the Potters Bar train crash victims, the Oxford Circus kettling protestors, the tortured UK Guantanamo Bay inmates and is currently representing Marina Litvinenko, the widow of the poisoned former Russian spy Alexander Litvinenko – Read her biography HERE.
- Nicky Gavron AM – Former Deputy Mayor of London and currently the London Assembly’s Opposition Spokeswomen for Housing – Read her biography HERE.
- Manjit S Gill QC – Barrister (Queens Counsel) and founder member of the Discrimination Law Association. Read his biography HERE.
- Meg Hillier MP – Member of Parliament for Hackney South and Shoreditch – Read her biography HERE.
- Jean Lambert MEP – London wide Member of the European Parliament and long-time campaigner for refugees and asylum seekers – Read her biography HERE.
- Lord Colin Low of Dalston CBE – Peer in the House of Lords and high profile disability rights activist. Read his biography HERE.
- Rajiv Menon QC – Hackney resident and barrister (Queens Counsel) who represented Dwayne Brooks, victim and best friend of the murdered black teenager Stephen Lawrence. Winner of the Society of Asian Lawyers award 2011. Read his biography HERE.
- Declan O’Callaghan – immigration barrister and campaigner– Read his biography HERE.
- Jon Robins – Former Hackney resident, Journalist (The Guardian, The Observer, The Times) and Editor of the Justice Gap blog (www.thejusticegap.com ) – Read his biography HERE.
- Lord Thomas of Gresford QC – Queen’s Counsel (barrister) and Peer in the House of Lords – Read his biography HERE.